- "He who does not fear the sword he holds is not worthy of holding a sword."
- —Hisagi's comments to Findorr Calius.
|Height||181 cm (5'11)|
|Weight||67 kg (148 lbs)|
|Unusual Features||Scars and Tattoos|
|Previous Affiliation||Soul Society, Gotei 13, Ryū Order|
|Previous Occupation||Gotei 13 Lieutenant, Ryū Order Captain|
|Previous Team||Ryū Order|
|Previous Partner||Kaname Tōsen, Shirosuke Satonaka|
|Base of Operations||Reikai|
|Relatives|| Yori Hisagi (son)|
Rangiku Matsumoto (spouse)
Shūhei Hisagi (檜佐木 修兵, Hisagi Shūhei), known occasionally as Scar (傷 (きず), Kizu), is a Visored who was formerly the Lieutenant of the 9th Division in the Gotei 13 and Captain of the 8th Division in the Ryū Order. He was the partner of Rangiku Matsumoto, their union resulting in the birth of Yori Hisagi, with him also being the legal guardian of Naoko Izuru. Following the Collapse he joined Kentaro Hiroshi's Six Directions as a Commander, pitting himself against the strength of the resurgent Imawashī and the mysterious Kikkashō.
Hisagi is a tall and lean-built man with spiked black hair and eyes, one of which (his right) has three scars running down through the skin to his cheek, which he received during the last year of his tutelage at the Shinō Academy. In addition to these scars he sports two tattoo's on his face, one of which is a blue-stripped band which runs over the bridge of his nose towards his left cheek, whilst the second tattoo comprises the numbers "69" (in homage to Kensei), which rests immediately below the latter on the left. Prior to the Collapse, Hisagi wore a sleeved kosode and hakama, both black, his white haori draped over his shoulders instead of worn traditionally, a pair of open-toed sandals, and black tabi. Following the Collapse, he instead reverted to a sleeveless kosode like he wore during his tenure in the Gotei 13, and now wears his white haori. His hair has also grown longer at the back, reaching his shoulders.
Hisagi has proven to be a serious, calm, mature, and virtuous individual, who manages to maintain a casual and approachable demeanour, despite his harsh exterior. His maturity was proven when, prior to the meeting where he and Kensei revealed vital information relating to the resurgent Imawashī, he was one of the few who maintained his cool, remaining silent when David and Sanada poked fun at Kensei and made light of the situation. Even whilst fleeing the full might of the Imawashī, Hisagi never lost his cool, remaining calm despite declaring that roughly half of the Imawashī's number contained Captain-class combatants. Kensei ridiculed him for a lack of focus however. He seems to have taken the latter's complaints to heart. Ever since the aforementioned incident Hisagi has redoubled his efforts. During the First Battle of Nishiendo he seized the initiative and rallied Kensei to help him fend off the attacking forces of the Gotei Remnant.
In battle, however, Hisagi is noted to be a much darker individual who actively seeks to instil fear in the heart of his opponent; to the point of referring to his Zanakutō as something meant to "reap life itself". Following his battle with Hitsugaya during the First Battle of Nishiendo, Hisagi seems to have developed a rivalry with the younger man. He claimed during their battle that things would not go as they did during the incident with Sōjiro Kusaka.
He gets on well with Kentaro and Kensei, being the former's drinking buddy, and the latter's former Lieutenant and protégé; though following the Collapse it's clear Hisagi looks out for Kensei just as much as Kensei looks out for him, suggesting the pair view one another as equals. Due to this he forms a vary effective team with both men, but is arguably at his best when fighting alongside Kensei. Maki Zhijun noted that the combined attacks of Hisagi and Kensei, had it been on any opponent other than Averian's premier Battle Doll, would have surely snapped his neck and broke every bone in his body, killing the poor fool. Following the Collapse, their team-based tactics have progressed to the point that they quickly opened up Dastan Shiba's defences, enabling Kensei to physically assault the former Captain whilst Hisagi covered the latter's openings.
Early childhood Edit
Sometime before the Hollowfication of various high-ranking Shinigami of the Gotei 13, Shūhei Hisagi lived in an unspecified region of the Rukongai. Whilst playing with his friends one day in an open field they are attacked by a particularly large Hollow, with Hisagi telling his friends to run. He lifted a stick to defend himself but was quickly subdued, where he was then hoisted into the air in preparation to be eaten. Luckily for Hisagi Captain Kensei Muguruma of the 9th Division rescued him, before effortlessly dispatching the Hollow with his Zanpakutō's Shikai, Tachikaze. After defeating the Hollow Kensei approaches the tearful Hisagi, who demands to know the young man's name, which he then provides. Kensei remarks that its a damn fine name and orders Hisagi to stop to crying, prompting his subordinates to note he is being too harsh. At this point Hisagi notices the 69 tattoo on Kensei's chest which eventually inspires him to get the same tattoo emblazoned on his cheek.
Hisagi eventually entered the Shinō Academy despite failing the entrance exam twice. Even when he was a mere student of the Academy he was taking missions for the Gotei 13, which made him something of a legend amongst his fellow students. During his last year of study he led a class of students including Renji Abarai, Izuru Kira and Momo Hinarmori alongside his fellow classmates Kanisawa and Aoga. They where assigned a field lesson pertaining to the use of Konsō, but where attacked by a group of huge Hollow. When Kanisawa was killed and Aoga incapacitated Hisagi ordered his class to retreat whilst he remained behind. As he held them off he was slashed across his right-eye, giving him his distinctive scars. He would have been killed but Renji, Kira and Momo returned to help him. The foursome where subsequently rescued by Captain Sōsuke Aizen and Lieutenant Gin Ichimaru of the 5th Division. Immediately following their treatment Hisagi ordered Renji, Kira and Momo to stop talking and continue walking, in a manner very similar to Kensei.
Hisagi's talent enabled him to become a Seated Officer in the 9th Division upon his graduation without him having to undertake additional tests. His experiences thus far had become engraved deeply in his psyche however, causing him to become scared during field exercises and to make mistakes. Hisagi called Captain Kaname Tōsen to a secluded spot outside the Seireitei to request that he relieve him of his duties due to his fear, noting that he was unsettled every time he unsheathed his Zanpakutō. Tōsen, however stated that this was the very reason he should be a Seated Officer, and further claims that those who do not fear their own sword have no right drawing it from its sheath. He further claims that a soldier needs a fear of battle more than strength. He tells Hisagi that he can take up his sword in defence of those who are also afraid because of this. Tōsen's words resonated deeply with Hisagi. It gave rise to Hisagi's own "follow the path with the least bloodshed" creed, as well as his desire to fight for justice.
After an unspecified time he developed a crush on Rangiku Matsumoto and would often spend time drinking with both Rangiku and Captain Shunsui Kyōraku of the 8th Division. As a member of the 9th Division he was likewise involved with the Seireitei Communication. He wrote Please Teach Me! Shūhei Sensei!! though it was cancelled due to a dreadful debut. When he heard Rangiku's comments regarding his work he refused to leave the office for three days. He later wrote This Hand, That Hand, The Hand Over There and Goodbye To Yesterday's Me.
Hisagi would eventually become Tōsen's Lieutenant.
Early career Edit
Ryōka Invasion Edit
Hisagi is present when Ichigo Kurosaki and his friends confront Jidanbō Ikkanzaka outside the walls of the Seireitei. Instead of assisting Hisagi, assuming that Jidanbō will win because of his abilities, leaves matters in his hands.
Prior to the scheduled execution of Rukia Kuchiki, Hisagi mobilizes alongside his own Captain and the Captain and Lieutenant of the 7th Division to confront Captain Zaraki Kenpachi of the 11th Division, due to the latter's decision to aid the intruders. Zaraki claims that he will face all four at once by himself but is stopped by Ikkaku Madarame and Yumichika Ayasegawa, who state their desire to face Hisagi and Iba themselves. Hisagi faces off against Yumichika whom he chides for believing that he is fit to combat a Lieutenant. When he senses Tōsen activating his Bankai he claims he needs to assist him quickly, but is subsequently surprised when Yumichika releases his Zanpakutō.
Later Hisagi is left completely exhausted after seemingly being defeated by Yumichika in battle. He is in a state of complete disbelief and wonders aloud how a Zanpakutō like Yumichika's could exist, claiming that his reiatsu has been completely drained by its unique power. He is further shocked when he senses Captain-Commander Yamamoto release Ryūjin Jakka. He eventually recovered enough to return to his duties immediately prior to Rukia's scheduled execution, which was to take place on Sōkyoku Hill.
When Tōsen is revealed to be a co-conspirator in the actions of traitorous 3rd and 5th Division Captains Sōsuke Aizen and Gin Ichimaru by Captain Retsu Unohana and Lieutenant Isane Kotetsu of the 4th Division, Hisagi is emotionally devastated and moves against Tōsen. He manages to temporarily capture his former Captain by holding his Zanpakutō to the latter's throat, but Tōsen is saved when Aizen and the others are surrounded by a Negación field which takes the trio to Hueco Mundo.
In the aftermath of Aizen, Gin and Tōsen's departure, Hisagi visits the grave of Tōsen's dear friend, where he finds Sajin Komamura. Hisagi inquires if Tōsen will ever return to the Soul Society which Komamura confirms. The two decide to pool their efforts and swear to save Tōsen from himself and his crazed sense of justice with their own two hands. Later he is invited out for drinks by Rangiku and Izuru Kira. Hisagi accepts but quickly notes that Kira has passed out and needs immediate assisstance. Rangiku, however, continues drinking and ignores him. Captain Shunsui Kyōraku of the 8th Division also passes by but Rangiku declines to allow him to join them, noting that Nanao Ise will only scold them if Kyōraku joins them. Hisagi looks on when Rangiku also informs Kyōraku that Nanao was looking for him. In addition Hisagi also inherited Tōsen's editorial duties as Head of Seireitei Communication which, coupled with his existent duties, ensured he had little free-time. What little time he does have he used to begin learning the guitar.
Haunted by the Past Edit
Hitsugaya rests in an old shrine on the outskirts of Karakura Town. He is awoken however by the arrival of Lieutenants Shūhei Hisagi and Izuru Kira. Hisagi demands that he surrender himself and allow them to take him back to the Seireitei for questioning. Hitsugaya emerges, declaring he will do no such thing, and rushes to attack. Hisagi and Izuru manage to intercept his attack and, attempting to reason with him, state that this will be considered rebellion. Hitsugaya tells them to back off but Hisagi refuses, leading Hitsugaya to repel them both. Hisagi manages to temporarily paralyse him with Kidō, but Hitsugaya releases his Bankai in retaliation. Hisagi and Izuru are left in a critical state and Hitsugaya flees again.
Bount Incident Edit
Kasumiōji Conspiracy Edit
Winter War Edit
Quincy Blood War Edit
Later career Edit
- Main article -- Bleach (Kenji Hiroshi).
Part I Edit
- Main article -- Bleach: Sun and Moon Chronicles.
Haunted by the Past arc Edit
Bount Incident Edit
Parts II & III Edit
- Main article -- Bleach: War of the Worlds.
Final Clash arc Edit
Part IV Edit
- Main article -- Bleach: Cataclysm.
Testing the Waters arc Edit
- Kentaro Takes Charge (mentioned)
- Matters of Trust II (mentioned)
- Leaving Doubt at the Door (mentioned)
- Fleeing the Imawashi
- Fatherly Intervention
- Putting Names to the Faces
Bound by Blood arc Edit
- Note: The below arc is filler and is thus separate from the main plot of Bleach: Cataclysm, despite it being classed very loosely as canon.
Meian's Legacy mini-arc Edit
Braving the Waves arc Edit
Powers and Abilities Edit
Great Spiritual Power: As a former Captain of the Ryū Order, as well as a Visored expressing a dual-type spiritual pressure, Hisagi boasts impressive spiritual power. Although not quite at the level of Kensei he is still regarded as one of the strongest individuals left alive on the side of the old Ryū Order following the Collapse, leading Kentaro to remark that he could not afford to lose a man of Hisagi's calibre. He was fit to stand on equal-footing with the likes of Tōshirō Hitsugaya throughout their battle, with Tōshirō remarking he had improved considerably. His level has progressed to the point that he was not overwhelmed by the spiritual pressure exerted by Averian.
Zanjutsu Mastery: Hisagi has demonstrated creative and crafty use of his Zanpakutō, all so he doesn't have to rely upon his initial and advanced released stages. Despite this he is far more deadly with his Shikai and Bankai active; immediately after engaging Dastan in battle he almost bisected him after skilfully manipulating the chains of Kazeshini, and later forced Tōshirō to protect himself with his Shikai after almost cutting the latter in two which clearly demonstrates how far his skills have come in recent years. He later took even Averian by surprise with the complicated paths Kazeshini can take.
Hohō Expertise: Hisagi demonstrated enough speed to intercept Dastan during their brief battle, easily reacting to the latter's attacks. Following the Collapse he was capable of reacting to Averian's speed.
Kidō Master: Hisagi is a masterful practitioner of battle-focused Kidō form, demonstrating tremendous aptitude in both Hadō and Bakudō fields, using the latter to skilfully trip up his opponents, and the former to effortlessly incinerate a large group of Soulless. Hisagi's Bakudō mastery is such that he can effortlessly utilize it alongside his Zanjutsu skills without warning and without incantations, whilst retaining almost all of their strength. Tōshirō, himself a skilled combatant, was forced to utilize his Shikai just to evade one such onslaught.
Descorrer (解空(デスコレール), Desukorēru; Spanish for "Drawing Back/Opening", Japanese for "Loosed Void"): a technique taught to Hisagi by Kenji following his recruitment into the Ryū Order. It enables Hisagi to open a Garganta that links to Hueco Mundo, which he used to deliver his reports on Averian's activities to Kentaro after volunteering himself for said duty.
Enhanced Strength: Using his Zanpakutō's Shikai state, Hisagi was capable of spinning a fully-developed Soulless through the air, slamming it into several of its kind and through multiple buildings, before finally dislodging it from Kazeshini's sickle-like blades.
Kazeshini (風死, Wind of Death). Hisagi's Zanpakutō takes the form of a traditional katana with an octangular guard, which he commonly carries at his waist or back. Interestingly, Hisagi mentions that his Zanpakutō is "meant to reap life itself" when released, despite the fact he never actually demonstrated this ability during his time with the Gotei 13. Prior to the Quincy Invasion of Soul Society Hisagi's poor relationship with Kazeshini prevented him from truly utilizing his partner in battle, restricting the strength of his Zanpakutō, leading it to appear as little more than a dangerously designed melee-type when released into Shikai. It wasn't until his Bankai training with Kensei and Mashiro that he became aware of these hidden abilities.
- Shikai: Hisagi releases his Zanpakutō with the command "Reap" (刈れ, kare). Kazeshini takes the form of twin kusarigama connected to one another by way of a long chain; manipulation of these chains allow for long-range attacks, entanglement of a foes weaponry or limbs, physical attacks, and even self-defence. Following his Bankai training with Kensei and Mashiro, however, Kazeshini's abilities became wholly known to Hisagi. When released Kazeshini is quite literally a part of Hisagi. He can dismiss and manifest his Shikai at will, whilst assuming a tornado-like form to restrict his foe and wrap them in chains, before then appearing to dispatch them at close-range.
- Shikai Special Ability: Kazeshini, although very useful as a long-range weapon, or as a means of entangling a foes weaponry to quickly subdue them, possesses the special ability known simply as the "Black Tornado" (黒竜巻, Kurotatsumaki). Using this particular trait Hisagi moves at incredibly fast speeds whilst appearing to take the form of a large, black tornado, whose wind slashes are so swift even focused eyes may fail to perceive the paths his weapons take until it is too late, as even Kentaro struggled to follow the strikes. Tōshirō only managed to defend himself by utilizing an ice-barrier.
- Shadow Blades: Hisagi unleashes the power of the Black Tornado following the arc of his swing, extending the formidable range of Kazeshini yet further in the form of shadowy blades of wind, which can be fired in rapid-succession. He explains that, unlike Kensei's Kiryū, which causes the pathways of his slashes to violently explode, his own Shadow Blades cut as deep and as painfully as Suitai's Kitikaze ever did, which also move with far more speed than either Kensei or Suitai's Zanpakutō possess, who wield similar wind-based powers.
- Bankai: Shigo Kazeshini (私語風死, Whispering Wind of Death). Hisagi mastered his Bankai in the years following Yhwach's defeat, though it went unseen by both his peers and Captain. Hisagi's Bankai causes Kazeshini to gain additional blades, giving it the appearance of an X-shape. Black segmented arm-bands coil around his arms from wrist to biceps, his shihakushō gains free-flowing ends that trail out behind him, whilst the upper section of his kosode turns white excepting the shoulders and sleeves.
- Bankai Special Ability: Shigo Kazeshini is compared to a Clad-type Fullbring by his peers. His Bankai possesses advanced close-quarters abilities with tremendous range. Hisagi states that Shigo Kazeshini provides him a number of benefits aside from increased spiritual power. The first sharpens his sense for incoming danger. The second is the increase to his speed. Hisagi is capable of moving five-times as fast -- an effect that is further heightened by his Hollow mask -- whilst in Bankai. The sheer speed he reaches enables him to create sonic booms, meaning he moves faster than the speed of sound. The third benefit is the heightened cutting power of his Zanpakutō: Hisagi is fit to direct his Shadow Blades with far greater range and sharpness than before.
Hisagi underwent unwilling Hollowfication at the hands of Bansui Amatsuki and Kagura during his search for their base of operations inside Hueco Mundo, sometime following the Quincy Invasion of Soul Society. He learned how to control his new-found powers after joining up with Kensei and the Ryū Order, receiving tutelage from the former. He seems to favour use of his Hollow powers over those of his Shikai and Bankai; against Vamp's Hollow he donned his Hollow mask and done so again during his battle with Hitsugaya, claiming it wasn't his Bankai Hitsugaya needed to be wary of, referencing his Hollowfication.
- Hollow mask: Hisagi's Hollow mask appears like a menacing skull with a row of pointed teeth and a vague nose-line, coloured white, with three red scar-like markings on the left-hand-side above his eye, appearing somewhat like Hisagi's own scars. He has also demonstrated the ability to repair his mask should it be damaged.
- Power Augmentation: While wearing the mask, Hisagi's Hollow powers supplement his Shinigami powers, giving him a vast increase in his physical parameters, and especially the strength of his existent Zanpakutō powers.
- Enhanced Spiritual Energy: The strength of Hisagi's mask-enhanced spiritual power was of sufficient strength to cause Kentaro to instinctively shield himself, suggesting it is quite powerful.
- Enhanced Strength: Hisagi's mask-enhanced strength is such that he effortlessly cut through the ice-barriers of Hyōrinmaru during his battle with Tōshirō, slashing the latter deeply across the chest. The strength granted by his mask was also sufficient to cut through Averian's superbly dense Hierro.
Behind the Scenes Edit
- The author, Kenji-Taichō, used Kensei Muguruma's Bankai, Tekken Tachikaze, as a base for the creation of Hisagi's Bankai. While Kensei's seems to deal more closely with strength enhancement, the author created Hisagi's to deal more closely with speed enhancement.
- Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto does not mention Hisagi's Shikai as a two-bladed Zanpakutō. Why he did not do so is currently unknown.
- When Rangiku submitted a survey giving a poor review to Hisagi's serialized article for the Seireitei Communication Magazine, "Please Teach Me! Shūhei Sensei!!", Hisagi refused to come out of the editor's office for three days.
- In the Bleach Popularity polls, Hisagi has been ranked 47th in the second poll, 13th in the third and 14th in the fourth.
- Hisagi's Zanpakutō, Kazeshini, placed 6th in the Zanpakutō Poll.
- The Namikaze technique, seen in Hisagi's zanpakuto abilities, was originally used by Kazeshini himself (although it wasn't named) so I gave it to Hisagi as well and gave it a name.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Terrors of a Different Kind
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Surprising Return
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Putting Names to the Faces
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Fleeing the Imawashi
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 First Battle of Nishiendo
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Facing the Terrors
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Liberation Saga
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter -104, The specific district was not mentioned.
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter -104, page 15
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter -104, pages 16-20
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 130.5, pages 12-13
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 130.5, page 20
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 130.5, page 23
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 130.5, pages 24-26
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 130.5, pages 27-30
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 130.5, page 32
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 46
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 384, pages 15-18
- ↑ name="Bleach Official Bootleg"
- ↑ Bleach Bootleg; Jacket Flap of Seireitei Bulletin Cover
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 72, page 1
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 138, pages 20-21
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 139, pages 1-10
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 147, pages 8-11
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 156, pages 3-4
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 172, pages 10 and 14
- ↑ Bleach anime; Episode 62
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 180, pages 14-15
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 181, page 7
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 181, page 8
- ↑ Haunted by the Past Part IV
- ↑ Leaving Doubt at the Door
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 33.3 33.4 Clash Upon the Sands
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3 34.4 Terrors End
- ↑ Bleach manga; Chapter 685, pages 13-14