- "Focus! We aren't out of this yet."
- —Kensei admonishing Shūhei.[src]
|Height||179 cm (5'10½")|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lbs.)|
|Previous Affiliation||Gotei 13, Ryū Order|
|Previous Occupation||9th Division Captain in the Gotei 13 & Ryū Order|
|Previous Partner||Mashiro Kuna|
|Base of Operations||Reikai|
Kensei Muguruma (六車 拳西, Muguruma Kensei), known affectionately amongst the Six Directions as the Drill Instructor (軍事訓練教官 (ぐんじくんれん きょうかん), Gunjikunren Kyōkan), is a Visored, who was formerly Captain of the 9th Division in both the Gotei 13 and the Ryū Order. Following the Collapse he joined Kentaro Hiroshi's Six Directions as a Commander and instructor, where he pitted his strength and experience against the resurgent Imawashī and mysterious Kikkashō.
Kensei is a tall, muscular man with sharp features, short light-silver hair and brown eyes. In most of his appearances it is rare if he isn't scowling. During his time as an exile he wore a dark purple A-shirt with a white trim, green cargo pants, black combat boots, and a pair of orange fingerless gloves. After his return to the Gotei 13 he wore a black kosode, a pair of black hakama, a white ōbi, and a white Captain's haori. Upon his defection to the Ryū Order he maintained this attire with the exception of the insignia emblazoned upon the back of his haori, which was that of the Yin and Yang. Sometime prior to the Collapse Kensei donned his old green cargo pants and dark purple A-shirt, but wore his old white haori over the top, essentially mixing his two former styles. In the intervening years he has allowed his silver hair to grow. Although he maintains the messed-up mohawk-style up-top he has allowed his hair to grow out at the back, which now reaches down between his shoulder blades, and his fringe and bangs now hang over his face as they did during his first tenure as Captain of the Gotei 13's 9th Division.
- "Are you going to cry? Well!? I won't waste my time on spineless cowards! You either find the resolve... or I kill you. Decide quickly!"
- —Kensei to Kenji.[src]
Kensei is a serious and decisive individual, though he is easily annoyed and is rather temperamental, often to a fault; being incredibly aggressive. He is greatly annoyed by what he perceives to be cowardice, which was made very evident when Kenji expressed his worry regarding the capture of his friends, saying he'd only mess things up again should he go after them. Kensei grabbed him by the throat and declared he did not waste his time on cowards, telling Kenji to find his resolve or die by his hand, or he could forget about his help in the rescue of his friends. Despite this he does have some measure of respect for the boy. He was the first to save Kenji's life when he blacked out from exhaustion during the rescue of Kusaka, Ino and Kazuma, not only killing the last of Kenji's foes personally, but also hoisting Kenji onto his shoulder and carrying him to safety afterwards. He was also the only original Visored to join Kenji's fledgling Ryū Order, replacing Kenji's father as a Captain in the organization.
In most cases he is greatly annoyed by immaturity and jokes, preferring to maintain a degree (or at least semblance) to seriousness, showing a lot of exasperation in the interactions between Hiyori Sarugaki and Kenji Hiroshi, with the former often assaulting the latter with her sandals, leading Kenji to respond with greater and ever-increasing flamboyance that visibly irritated Kensei. He again demonstrated this trait when Hawke and David had a food-fight, telling both to sit on their asses. He also demonstrated a similar mindset when reacting to Shinji's plan to help Kenji save his friends. He dismissively referred to Shinji and his own role in the mission as nothing more than a "sideshow", leading Shinji to complain that Kensei made their role sound unimportant. After agreeing to the mission however he took it in his usual stride, giving one-hundred percent. He later responded to David's jibes (he demanded that Kensei smile) by striking the younger man, slamming his face into the floor face-first, at which point he did smile.
In almost all of his appearances Kensei is depicted as an individual who dislikes small-talk, especially during difficult situations and battles. During the final battle with Averian's premier Battle Doll he did not speak once upon arrival. Instead he focused all his energy and power on bringing the Arrancar down alongside his fellow Captains. He also admonished both Shūhei Hisagi and Sanada Shirono during their flight from the Imawashī, pointedly telling both to keep their reports until later and focus on the task at-hand. In his free-time however he has demonstrated a social side, as well as a rarely-seen caring-side, though his aggression still colours his interactions. When Kentaro struggled with survivors guilt following the Collapse, resulting in recurring nightmares, it was Kensei who ultimately helped him see his decisions in a different light and come to own the mistakes he made, helping him move on.
- Main Article - Bleach (Kenji Hiroshi).
Part I Edit
- Main Article - Bleach: Sun and Moon Chronicles.
Birth of the Tsuji Edit
Part II & III Edit
- Main Article - Bleach: War of the Worlds.
Final Clash arc Edit
Part IV & V Edit
- Main Article - Bleach: Cataclysm.
Testing the Waters arc Edit
- Kentaro Takes Charge (mentioned)
- Matters of Trust II (mentioned)
- Leaving Doubt at the Door (mentioned)
- Fleeing the Imawashi
- Putting Names to the Faces
- New Resolve
Powers and Abilities Edit
Great Spiritual Energy: As a former Captain of both the Gotei 13 and Ryū Order, as well as a Visored expressing a dual-type spiritual pressure, Kensei boasts impressive spiritual power. His reiatsu was of sufficient strength to be felt throughout Kohai Tochi during the rescue of Kenji's friends, being described as a "beacon". Following the Collapse Kensei is one of the strongest individuals left alive on the side of the old Ryū Order, second only to Kentaro, who remarked he could not afford to lose a man of Kensei's calibre.
Zanjutsu Mastery: Kensei is in his element up-close and personal, where he can bring his formidable Zanjutsu and Hakuda skills to bare. His mastery of Zanjutsu, coupled with his quick reflexes, marked him as one of a very select few capable of reacting to and effectively countering Averian's premier Battle Doll in close-quarters Zanjutsu combat.
Hakuda Mastery: Following the Collapse Kensei is recognized as the foremost Hakuda specialist amongst the Six Directions. He is masterful in close-quarters combat, combining explosive power and swift combination attacks, to completely devastate his opposition; to such effect even foes as powerful as Averian's Battle Dolls could only defend themselves indirectly against his fierce assaults, which was prior to the Collapse. The speed and strength of his attacks post-Collapse enabled him to easily bypass the defences of one Dastan Shiba, whom he replaced as 9th Division Captain of the Ryū Order, and land a powerful one-handed blow to the latter's stomach before he could even react or mount an effective defence.
Hohō Expertise: Although not possessing of the raw speed demonstrated by Kentaro and Sanada, Kensei possesses the finest honed reflexes of anyone in the Six Directions. He was capable of not only reacting to the attacks of Averian's premier Battle Doll but counter in reprisal, which even Kenji struggled to do before his return as a Kodairei. He was also fit to outmanoeuvre Dastan, landing a devastating punch to the latter's stomach during their brief battle. He saved Kenji from an assassin following the latter's exhaustion, despite Shinji moving at the same time, and killed the individual before Shinji arrived on-scene.
Enhanced Strength: Kensei was fit to pull Shūhei through the air by pulling on the second weapon comprising Kazeshini, pulling him clear of Dastan's attempted follow-up.
Tachikaze (断地風, Earth-Severing Wind): When sealed, it is shown as a short katana with a rectangular guard in an 'H' shape, with white hilt wrapping.
- Shikai: Kensei's Shikai is triggered by the command Blow it Away (吹っ飛ばせ, futtobase, Send 'em Flying in the English Dub and Viz: Blast Away), which shrinks his Zanpakutō down into the form of a combat-knife with light purple hilt-wrapping in the centre of a grey handle, and a small ring beneath the guard, located on the blunt-side.
- Shikai Special Ability: Kensei can use Tachikaze to manipulate wind and energy, though the true power of Tachikaze lies in its ability to cause the path of its slashes to explode. Merely upon release Kensei was fit to assault a foe with a series of wind-blades, allowing Shūhei to dispatch the target effortlessly, who then violently exploded.
- Niten (二天:風道, Two Heavens): A form of offensively-based Zanjutsu usage envisioned by Kenji, Meian and Kentaro, and taught to Kensei initially by Kenji. Kentaro furthered his instruction in the style following the resurgence of the Imawashī sometime after the Collapse, in order to catch them off-guard. Kensei explained that Kenji initially based the Niten on two sources; the abilities Kensei's own Tachikaze possessed, and those possessed by Meian's Kaiyōmonshi, replicating them into a full-blown style of Zanjutsu usage. As such the Niten bears resemblance to some of Kensei's own Zanpakutō powers, and use of the style only serves to strengthen his existent powers.
- Bakudantsuki (爆弾突き, Bomb Thrust): not yet revealed.
- Kiryū (気流, Airflow): By slashing at the air with his Zanpakutō, Kensei can release multiple blades of wind, which was the basis for the Niten style. Using this attack he was capable of eviscerating a foe, allowing Shūhei to finish him, before then blowing the man to bits.
- Bankai: Tekken Tachikaze (鐡拳・断風, Iron Fist Earth-Severing Wind): Kensei likens his Bankai to an out-and-out power-type. Upon release an explosion of wind surrounds Kensei and his Zanpakutō, which causes Tachikaze to transition from a single combat-knife into a pair of dual knuckle-blades, which Kensei holds in each hand. Purple bands wrap around his arms, appearing as a form of segmented armour, while a thicker purple band arches behind him and over his head, with its ends protruding from under his shoulders. Kentaro admits that, in terms of destructive power, Takken Tachikaze is unsurpassed amongst the Six Directions.
- Bankai Special Ability: Tekken Tachikaze focuses all of its Shikai form's destructive power into its knuckle blades. As a result, Kensei's punches release immense explosive force on impact. This explosive power continues to assault his opponent endlessly as long as his fist remains in contact with his opponent. When using this ability, Kensei can change its knuckle-blades into brass-knuckles, as well as spiked gauntlets.
Afflicted with Hollowfication by none other than Sōsuke Aizen during his captaincy, Kensei was one of the original Shinigami-Hollow hybrids alongside his then lieutenant, Mashiro Kuna. As a result of Kisuke Urahara's intervention, he was fit to affirm himself as a Visored. Following the Winter War, Kensei has furthered his control in utilizing his Hollow powers, by teaching not only Kenji Hiroshi how to control his powers, but also Kenji's son, Kentaro.
- Hollow Mask: His Hollow mask resembles a flat hockey face guard with six slitted eye holes arranged in two columns. It has three extensions on either side which cover the sides and back of his head.
- Power Augmentation: While wearing the mask, Kensei's Hollow powers supplement his Shinigami powers, giving him a vast increase in strength, durability and speed.
- Enhanced Strength: With his mask on, Kensei's strength is greatly enhanced. He was capable of tearing the Hierro of Averian's premier Battle Doll and break the bone beneath with a powerful double-punch.
References & notes Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Darkest Pursuits
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Invading the Dark Depths
- ↑ Surprising Return
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 Fleeing the Imawashi
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Darkness Lifted
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Putting Names to the Faces
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 Liberation Saga
- ↑ New Resolve
- ↑ Leaving Doubt at the Door
|Current Members||Shinji Hirako · Love Aikawa · Mashiro Kuna · Kensei Muguruma · Rōjūrō Ōtoribashi · Hiyori Sarugaki · Hachigen Ushōda · Lisa Yadōmaru · Kenji Hiroshi|
|Former Members||Ichigo Kurosaki|
|Unaffiliated||Kaname Tōsen · Van Satonaka|
|1st Division||Captain-Commander Kenji Hiroshi • Lieutenant Ace|
|2nd Division||Captain Ino Hiroshi • Lieutenant Zero Ukitake|
|3rd Division||Captain Kusaka Kori • Temporary Captain Meian Shiba • Lieutenant Sojiro Kori • Squadman Kazeshini (Spirit)|
|4th Division||Captain Momoko Kazuki • Lieutenant Kichō Sayaka|
|5th Division||Captain Yoshiro Kazuki • Lieutenant Mikado Sayaka|
|6th Division||Captain Zieg Ishi • Lieutenants Zen Yoso & Kishiko|
|7th Division||Captain Maki Zhijun • Lieutenant Kugi|
|8th Division||Captain Shuhei Hisagi • Lieutenant Fujimaru Namikaze|
|9th Division||Captain Kensei Muguruma • Lieutenant Galath Tristan|
|Ryū Guard||Shinrei Hiroshi • Kaimen Kazuki • Alma Shizuka • Sanada Shirono|
|Masters||Meian Shiba • Rosuto Shiba • Naibu Shizuka • Ashido Kanō • Hawke Kori • Kitsui Sanretsu • Kireina Kori|
|Guardians||Kentaro Hiroshi • Harumi Kazuki • Kensai Kuchiki • Juunan Shihōin|
|Dedicated||Riki Nagakura • Jinta Kanō • Akiye • Hotaru Hiroshi • Akira Hiroshi|