- "Sorry, but I'm not mature enough to show restraint when it comes to kids...!"
- —To Wonderweiss Margera.
|Height||179 cm (5'10½")|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lbs.)|
|Affiliation||Visored, Ryū Order|
|Previous Affiliation||Gotei 13|
|Occupation||9th Division Captain|
|Previous Occupation||9th Division Captain|
|Partner||Shūhei Hisagi, Zieg Ishi, Galath Tristan|
|Previous Partner||Mashiro Kuna|
|Base of Operations||Visored Warehouse, Karakura Town, Human World|
Kensei Muguruma (六車 拳西, Muguruma Kensei) is the former Captain of the 9th Division in the Gotei 13, with Mashiro Kuna as his Lieutenant and, later, Shūhei Hisagi. He is now the current Captain of the Ryū Order's 9th Division, with Galath Tristan as his Lieutenant. He is also a Visored.
Kensei is a tall, muscular man with sharp features, short light-gray/silver hair and brown eyes. He has a tattoo of the number "69" on his chest; the "6" represents his last name, "Muguruma," which uses the kanji for "6" in it, while the "9" represents the 9th Division, which he once led. When he was a captain, Kensei had longer front bangs, which reached over his eyes. He wore a sleeveless Shihakushō that was open on the front, exposing his chest and tattoo, and tied it with a rope belt. He also wore a sleeveless haori and a pair of fingerless black gloves that covered most of his forearms. Following his membership of the Ryū Order he has reverted to wearing his Shinigami clothing once again and the haori he once wore, only it now sports the Yin and Yang on the back instead of the Gotei 13's symbol; showcasing the loyalty he now exhibits towards Kenji Hiroshi.
Kensei is a serious and decisive individual, though he is easily annoyed and is rather temperamental, often to a fault. He is greatly annoyed by immaturity, evident when Orihime infiltrates the Visored's hideout and jokingly asks where the bathroom is; Kensei is noticeably annoyed, only calming down when Lisa Yadōmaru and Love Aikawa remind him that it was only a joke. He is most frequently irritated by Mashiro's childish behavior, once noting that she has the uncanny ability to aggravate him even when she is asleep. He does seem to care for Mashiro on at least some level though, as he intervened in order to save her from Wonderweiss Margela.
Zieg Ishi maintains he doesn't like sitting on his hands when faced with a mystery and would much rather be doing something rather than sitting around and waiting. This trait was seen most strongly during his time as a Gotei Captain were he was sent to investigate the Rukongai and again when he accompanied Zieg to investigate the Soulless.
His aggressive behavior is particularly evident in combat and even outside of it under the right circumstances. At one point, he confesses that he is not mature enough to hold back, even against a child. Despite this, Kensei is at times a caring individual, though his attempts at being kind are often offset by his aggression. This is evident when he tries to cheer up a young, tearful Hisagi, albeit in a manner reminiscent of a military drill sergeant. This latter trait is also frequently turned on new recruits of the Yuengiri Academy, were he can make even the most hardened youngster jump when he says toad.
- For the full list of Kensei's history and synopsis, see his article on the Bleach Wiki. Kensei. Thank you.
- Main Article - Bleach (Kenji Hiroshi).
Part I Edit
- Main Article - Bleach: Sun and Moon Chronicles.
Birth of the Tsuji Edit
Part II & III Edit
- Main Article - Bleach: War of the Worlds.
Final Clash arc Edit
Part IV & V Edit
- Main Article - TBA.
Powers and Abilities Edit
Immense Spiritual Power: Being a current captain of the Order, Kensei possesses a great amount of spiritual power. As a Visored, Kensei can further enhance himself with his Hollow powers. He was selected to replace Dastan because he was believed to rival the latter and because of his experience. In battle, Kensei has shown himself fit to fold his spiritual energy in such a manner to cushion himself against damage, often nullifying it completely.
Master Swordsmanship Specialist: Despite its small size, Kensei is able to effectively use Tachikaze’s Shikai to inflict otherwise lethal strikes even in close quarters combat, demonstrated when he was able to hold off Ichigo's Hollowfied form while it was using its Bankai.
Hakuda Master: Kensei often prefers to utilize his hand-to-hand capabilities, despite his impressive swordsmanship skills. He has however shown himself able to effectively use both skills in unison. During Ichigo's transformation into a Hollow, Kensei is able to knock him a good distance away with just an elbow strike. He was then able to dodge all of the Hollowfied Ichigo’s attacks, despite the latter's use of Tensa Zangetsu, and manages to kick him. While fighting a large a group of Gillian-class Menos, he destroys several of them with his fists alone.
- Sandbag Beat (サンドバッグ・ビート, "Sandobaggu Bīto"): a technique where Kensei delivers multiple strikes at an extremely fast pace causing aggravated damage to a target. The technique is powerful enough to not only shatter a Menos Grande's mask but utterly destroy its body.
- Ikkotsu (一骨, "Japanese for Single Bone"): a single strike Hakuda technique that possesses a tremendous amount of sheer power behind the strike. Using it, Kensei can effortlessly launch his opponents the length of a city street and through several buildings besides. It can be made all the more lethal when Kensei uses Tachikaze's Shikai abilities in conjunction with the strike.
- Sōkotsu (双骨, "Japanese for Double Bone"): a stronger, two-handed version of Ikkotsu that can easily incapacitate enemies if it doesn't kill them outright. It can easily shatter even the strongest of defenses and is made all the more lethal when Kensei uses Tachikaze's Shikai abilities in conjunction with the strike.
Enhanced Strength: Back when they were captains, Kensei's fellow Visored implied that he possessed great strength, even before his Hollowfication. During his fight with Wonderweiss, Kensei was able to block the Arrancar's powerful punch and hurl him a great distance with considerable force, achieving both feats with only a single hand.
Highly Perceptive Combatant: Despite his short-tempered nature, Kensei is a very perceptive fighter. He is knowledgeable of the abilities that Hollows possess, and knows how to counter them to gain the upper hand.
Shunpo Expert: As a former captain of the Gotei 13, Kensei has capable skill in Shunpo. During the Fake Karakura Town battle, Kensei is able to reach Mashiro in time to save her from Wondwerweiss, as well as dodge the latter's attacks. He later demonstrated even swifter speed to protect Zieg Ishi and Shuhei Hisagi from an Arrancar's sneak attack. His bog-standard speed and reflexes were high enough to react to and perfectly dodge Ichigo's impressive Bankai speed, as well as predict and react to Averian's swift assault; a feat praised even by Meian Shiba, who was shocked at his ability to do so.
Tachikaze (断地風, Earth-Severing Wind): When sealed, it is shown as a short katana with a rectangular guard in an 'H' shape and white hilt weaving.
- Shikai: Kensei's Shikai is triggered by the command Blow it Away (吹っ飛ばせ, futtobase, Send 'em Flying in the English Dub and Viz: Blast Away) in which air currents swirl around Kensei in a circle up to his Tachikaze. It then transforms into a survival, close-combat knife with a black guard and a small ring extension on the hilt's blunt edge. He commonly kept his Tachikaze in its released form during his exile rather than sealed, were he stored it in the pocket of his cargo pants. As a member of the Order however, Kensei usually keeps Tachikaze sealed.
- Shikai Special Ability: In this form, Kensei has demonstrated the ability to manipulate wind while mixing it with his spiritual energy for devastating effects.
- Air Blades: Making slashes allows him to release transparent blades of wind to cut enemies from a distance. It appears to be extremely powerful, easily severing and killing a giant hollow. While very useful at long range, its effectiveness in close-quarters is no less lethal. Instead of releasing the blades of wind towards an enemy, Kensei can encircle his body with the blades to make his Hakuda skills all the more devastating. In Bankai the speed at cutting force of the blades are augmented further, easily allowing them to cut through almost anything that comes across their path.
- Bakudantsuki: (爆弾突き, "Bomb Strike/Thrust") Kensei charges spiritual energy in Tachikaze and fires white energy blasts from his hand with extreme force. This blast is quite devastating as it was shown blowing off the arm of Ichigo's Hollow form and blow up the heads of Gillian-class Menos. In Bankai, the energy blast is augmented further and is considered one of Kensei's most damaging abilities.
- Hurricanes: Making several circular slashes allows him to create a powerful, localized hurricane originating from the tip of Tachikaze, which are strong enough to lift opponents clean off their feet. It is considered an explosive augmentation of Hadō 58: Tenran. In Bankai, the friction and speed causes the hurricane summoned to be surrounded in electricity as well.
- Bankai: Tekken Tachikaze (鐡拳・断風, Iron Fist Earth-Severing Wind): Tekken Tachikaze transforms from a single combat knife to a pair of large knuckle blades that he holds in each hand. Each blade has a silver edge along the outer edge of the blade, tapering off into an outward point on both sides. A single segmented band wraps itself upwards around each of his arms, much like armor, extending up into an arch behind him. Two small flat protrusions appear beneath his shoulders.
- Bankai Special Abilities: Tekken Tachikaze highly augments Kensei's offensive ability, whilst also augmenting the strength of his wind-based skills.
- Energized Punches: A technique shared with his controlled Hollow form. By sheathing his fists in the energy which usually forms his Shikai energy blast, Kensei is capable of delivering energy-charged punches capable of tremendous damage. He is thus noted to have immense strength when using Tekken Tachikaze.
Afflicted with Hollowfication by none other than Sōsuke Aizen during his captaincy, Kensei was one of the original Shinigami-Hollow hybrids alongside his then lieutenant, Mashiro Kuna. As a result of Kisuke Urahara's intervention, he was fit to affirm himself as a Vizard. Following the Winter War, Kensei has furthered his control in utilizing his Hollow powers.
- Hollow Mask: His Hollow mask resembles a flat hockey face guard with six slitted eye holes arranged in two columns. It has three extensions on either side which cover the sides and back of his head.
- Power Augmentation: While wearing the mask, Kensei's Hollow powers supplement his Shinigami powers, giving him a vast increase in strength, durability and speed.
- Enhanced Strength: With his mask on, Kensei's strength is greatly enhanced, as he was able to smash a Menos' mask using only his fists, with ease.
- Enhanced Sōkotsu: The sheer strength the attack carries with his mask donned was enough to crack both the Hierro and bone of Averian during their battle and launch him through the air.
- Enhanced Speed: With his mask on, Kensei's speed increases greatly, as seen when he dealt a rapid barrage of punches to a Menos Grande, effectively killing it.
- Augmented Shikai Abilities: The abilities demonstrated by Tachikaze's Shikai all enjoy a moderate boost to their levels of strength when Kensei dons his Hollow mask, showcased during an encounter with Saburo Ryū.
- Descorrer: (解空(デスコレール), Desukorēru; Japanese for "Loosed Void", Spanish for "Drawing Back/Opening") A technique used by Espada-level Arrancar and sometimes others, to open a Garganta between the living world and Hueco Mundo. Kensei used this variant to escape the surprise attack on his expedition by Saburo Ryū alongside Zieg and Hisagi.
- Bala: Kensei prefers the faster, weaker Bala because he can fire it quickly with the same Hakuda motions he favors in battle, thus fitting more with his overall combat style. This technique was demonstrated against Saburo to repel the latter's own surprise attack, saving both Zieg and Hisagi in the process. Whether he can utilize the stronger Cero is currently unknown.
Controlled Hollow Form Edit
Hollowfied Form: When transformed into his Hollow form, he is a large, muscular and bulky humanoid with armored hands and skeletal feet, with a number of thick cylindrical protrusions on his back and forearms. The cylinders on his back seem to make him hunch over. Following the Winter War, Kensei has been fit to enter this state willingly and retain full control of himself, allowing him to use its strength to its fullest extent in battle. When he does this, powerful wind gusts surround his limbs, hiding him completely from view before this same wind forms the armor and physical changes expressed upon its completion.
- Enhanced Strength: In terms of physical might, Kensei's Hollow form possessed vast strength, evident from his ability to effortlessly punch massive craters into the ground and overwhelm foes of Captain level during his first appearance. He was able to break out of a level 63 Bakudō using brute strength alone, a feat thought to be impossible beforehand.
- Enhanced Speed: His speed was highly increased, to the point of him being able to take his fellow captains by surprise when he attacked them.
- Enhanced Durability: He was able to block a sword blow from Love in this form with nothing but his arm with no injury being left behind. He also had the durability required to break free of a level 63 Bakudo, something Rukia once said could destroy someones soul if forced.
- Energized Punches: He is able to sheath his fists with spiritual energy, augmenting the amount of damage that his punches inflict and causing explosions upon impact that caused quite severe burning to one as durable as Love Akiwa.
Notable Relationships Edit
Kenji's Group Edit
- "Are you going to cry? Well!? I won't waste my time on spineless cowards! You either find the resolve... or I kill you. Decide quickly!"
- —Kensei to Kenji.
Kenji Hiroshi: Kensei and Kenji met during their respective periods on the Human World, where he helped the young Shinigami control his Hollow abilities. When Kenji came to the Visored for help regarding the capture of his friends, Kensei was the one who beat Kenji out of his depression, in his usual drill sergeant-like manner. The two respect one another greatly; enough so that Kensei joined the Ryū Order on Kenji's request.
Ryū Order Edit
Captain Shūhei Hisagi: Kensei and Hisagi share a close bond. Hisagi has looked up to and respected Kensei ever since the latter saved him from a Hollow when he was younger, feelings reflected in Hisagi mimicking the "69" tattoo Kensei has. Kensei himself thinks highly of Hisagi and has gone to his aid repeatably even though Hisagi could easily handle the problem himself. Following the Winter War Kensei once again became Captain of the 9th Division, with Hisagi as his Lieutenant. Hisagi's calm personality was a good foil for Kensei's decisive and aggressive nature, and since both were serious men, they quickly struck up a friendship. Kensei's presence was one of the contributing factors behind Hisagi's decision to join the Ryū Order.
Gotei 13 Edit
Captain Erika "Rika" Fujibayashi: Kensei was the leader of the patrol team Rika was a part of. Aside from her own zanpakutō Kensei was the only person Rika opened up to and spent time with. The two have many similarities: both are wild, both are quite serious people and both are quick to resort to violence to solve their problems. Despite their differing positions they have stayed in contact over the years and have often worked together as part of a patrol team consisting of personnel from both the Gotei 13 and the Ryū Order.
- (To a young Shūhei Hisagi) "You're alive, be happy! Smile!"
- (To Zieg Ishi) "Worry about it later. For now, we move.
Behind the Scenes Edit
Full credit to the guys and gals over at the Bleach wiki for the good majority of the content of this article, such as appearance, personality and general powers. For they rightly deserve the praise.
With the release of Chapter 479 we learn that Kensei was reinstated as the 9th Division story (good for him), which basically makes this Kensei of mine no longer follow any form of canon and I'm not altering the story thus far to change that fact.
|Current Members||Shinji Hirako · Love Aikawa · Mashiro Kuna · Kensei Muguruma · Rōjūrō Ōtoribashi · Hiyori Sarugaki · Hachigen Ushōda · Lisa Yadōmaru · Kenji Hiroshi|
|Former Members||Ichigo Kurosaki|
|Unaffiliated||Kaname Tōsen · Van Satonaka|
|1st Division||Captain-Commander Kenji Hiroshi • Lieutenant Ace|
|2nd Division||Captain Ino Hiroshi • Lieutenant Zero Ukitake|
|3rd Division||Captain Kusaka Kori • Temporary Captain Meian Shiba • Lieutenant Sojiro Kori • Squadman Kazeshini (Spirit)|
|4th Division||Captain Momoko Kazuki • Lieutenant Kichō Sayaka|
|5th Division||Captain Yoshiro Kazuki • Lieutenant Mikado Sayaka|
|6th Division||Captain Zieg Ishi • Lieutenants Zen Yoso & Kishiko|
|7th Division||Captain Maki Zhijun • Lieutenant Kugi|
|8th Division||Captain Shuhei Hisagi • Lieutenant Fujimaru Namikaze|
|9th Division||Captain Kensei Muguruma • Lieutenant Galath Tristan|
|Ryū Guard||Shinrei Hiroshi • Kaimen Kazuki • Alma Shizuka • Sanada Shirono|
|Masters||Meian Shiba • Rosuto Shiba • Naibu Shizuka • Ashido Kanō • Hawke Kori • Kitsui Sanretsu • Kireina Kori|
|Guardians||Kentaro Hiroshi • Harumi Kazuki • Kensai Kuchiki • Juunan Shihōin|
|Dedicated||Riki Nagakura • Jinta Kanō • Akiye • Hotaru Hiroshi • Akira Hiroshi|