Honzoku (奔放族 Wild Clan) are a race of spiritual beings that possess high levels of spirit power. Like all spirits, they cannot be detected by ordinary humans.
Similarly to Shinigami, Honzoku are souls that have supernatural powers. As such, their bodies are composed of Spiritrons (spirit particles) instead of atoms. This means that just like most other types of spirits, they can only be seen by other spiritually aware entities, which excludes most humans. Honzoku are more commonly born to Pluses in the Rukongai, and are rarely ever born in the Seireitei. Like Shinigami, they possess possesses supernatural abilities such as:
- Longevity: While they can age and die of natural causes or as a result of physical injury as regular humans, Honzoku have extended life-spans and it is not uncommon for one to live for thousands of years.
- Enhanced Endurance: While they can be injured and die like regular humans, it takes considerably greater injuries for the latter to occur than it would in regular humans. Honzoku also seem to heal faster than Shinigami, healing from minor wounds in a few seconds, and major wounds in a day or two.
- Reiryoku: Honzoku also naturally give off Spiritual Energy, which varies greatly in magnitude with the strength of a Honzoku. Unlike Shinigami however, their Spiritual Energy, when detected, it always described as "wild and uncontrolled". Like all Spirit Beings, they only become hungry when they used too much Spiritual Energy within a short amount of time.
- Jōrushi (上昇印 Ascending Mark): Similarly to the Zanpakutō of a Shinigami, all Honzoku possess a tattoo on a certain spot on their body. These tattoos vary in appearance, and the appearance of the mark generally hints at what the bearers powers are. Each tattoo allows the bearer to transform a part of or their whole body into a different form, almost always an animal. Some may only grow wings, while others may take on a full animal form. Honzoku are born with the tattoo, so it is easy to tell whether a spirit is a Honzoku if their tattoo is visible. Also like a Zanpakutō, these marks have "names", though they are not unique to the bearer, and it is not uncommon for more than one Honzoku to have a mark that allows them to have traits of the same animal. The name for mark is always in Italian, and the Honzoku releases it with the phrase "Rivela la tua presenza..." (Italian for "Reveal your Presence) and the name of their animal.
- Enhanced Strength: Many Honzoku possess strength that is far greater than that of a Shinigami. On many occasions, a punch with the users strength held back is enough to cause an opponent to fly back.