"If you were to turn into a snake tomorrow and begin devouring humans, and from the same mouth you started devouring humans, you cried out to me 'I love you,' would I still be able to say 'I love you' the same way I do today?"
- "...grinning, the snake bares his fangs."
|Weight||69kg (152 lbs)|
|Eye Color||Sky Blue|
|Base of Operations||Karakura Town|
|Bankai||Kamishini no Yari|
This particular Reigai (霊骸 Spirit Body) holds the powers and appearance of Gin Ichimaru (市丸 ギン Ichimaru Gin) and was formed by Akon of the 12th Division. On an expedition to Karakura Town after the climactic battle against Sōsuke Aizen, Akon collected the DNA and remnant spiritual power of Gin Ichimaru; using data formed from Soul Society in order to reforge him into a Modified Soul which was then embodied by one of the Reigai mannequins. Initially retaining the memories of the original Gin Ichimaru, Gin had escaped from the notice of the Soul Society. However, after his fight with a reigai of Ichigo Kurosaki being noticed in the Human World, he was captured and brought back to Soul Society. He was forced to pledge allegiance to them, and currently acts as a covert agent within Karakura Town.
Gin is fairly ordinary in terms of clothing, and he doesn't wear any unique items. His overall appearance, however, is not as normal. He keeps his eyes constantly narrowed to slits, rarely ever opening his eyes enough to reveal their bright sky blue-color. Although he appears to be an early to mid twenty-year-old person, he is unusually thin and tall with very sharp features, giving him a skeletal appearance. He bears unusual silver hair (his name refers to his hair color; gin [銀] is Japanese for silver). He also keeps his face set in a wide mocking smile, which he only wipes off on rare occasions of annoyance, surprise, confusion, or even sadness.
In Hueco Mundo, his outfit, like Aizen and Tōsen's, had been modified since the three abandoned Soul Society. He now wears a long, white robe over his normal Shinigami hakama. The hilt of his Zanpakutō is visible sticking out from under the robe through the opening down to his waist. Later, Gin is seen wearing a white hakama like the Arrancar, instead of the black ones he was last seen in. Gin wears his robe open in a narrow 'V' down to his waist, closed to below the hips, and then open again to the hem, which falls about to mid-calf. His robe has long bell sleeves, into which he hides his hands like some do with kimono sleeves. The lining of the robe and edges or layers of the under-robe(s) appear to be black. From other examples, it is likely he is also wearing black tabi with white waraji. His Zanpakutō is not visible with this outfit. This particular Gin Reigai also adorns the same outfit whenever he is inside the Soul Society, believing that it is far more fitting for his status.
Within Karakura Town, Gin tends to wear a very modernized, human attire. His sense of style appears to be quite unorthodox, even for a human, considering the people who eye him quite regularly. He wears a dark hooded jacket, lined with gold over a similarly colored tank-top that has a slight V-neck closing just beneath his collarbones, a pair of dark blue jeans and dark sneakers. He also has an unusual pendant, gold in color; shaped with three rectangular shapes going diagonally in one direction, and two lightning bolts descending the other side in a similar manner. He finds this outfit quite useful and practical, though for battle it can be a slight hindrance.
- To see the history of the original, please see Gin Ichimaru
Gin's history began right after his original had died in battle against the mighty Sōsuke Aizen. His death left a powerful impact, which motivated Ichigo Kurosaki to further avenge the people who had been lost thanks to his own crumbling fear of the overpowering man. After a tenacious battle of epic proportions, both Aizen and Ichigo had been on the precipice of their powers; Ichigo on the losing side. However, in the nick of time, Kisuke Urahara's spell, Kyūjūrokkei Kakafūmetsu had sealed him thanks to the weakness caused by the use of Ichigo's Saigo no Getsuga Tenshō.
In the aftermath of the battle, the 12th Division had been ordered by their Captain to gain remnants from the said battlefield for further research. Akon, the 3rd Seat of the Division, had been able to accumulate the scattered reiryoku of Gin Ichimaru and collect DNA samples from the body and returned them to Soul Society, along with other data. Using these findings, along with data accumulated in all the records of Soul Society, Akon appeared to have made a Mod Soul of Gin Ichimaru's reiryoku, DNA and the like.
This said Mod Soul was inserted into a Reigai mannequin, which then took the form of Gin Ichimaru. However, reliving his final memories as an original, the said Reigai immediately took off; with the ruined Soul Society doing nothing but watch as he ran without harming anybody. Approaching the Human World, Gin Ichimaru had lived in Karakura Town for a number of years, until after the Vandenreich had been dissolved. At one point, during a great exertion of his power against a battle with a Reigai of Ichigo Kurosaki, Gin had been apprehended by Soul Society's finest, and returned to the Gotei 13. Under the orders of Shunsui Kyōraku, he now works as a covert agent of the Gotei 13, informing the Gotei of immediate threats that may be lurking within the Human World and Hueco Mundo.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Genius Intellect: When Gin was younger, he was hailed as a child genius. He was highly proficient in his classes at the Shinigami Academy, and he graduated in one year. His skill was already evident at a young age when he gained a seated position in the 5th Division shortly after graduating, ultimately surpassing the previous child prodigy Kaien Shiba, who was already an adult and had taken five years to become a seated officer. Gin has shown himself to be highly manipulative and deceptive. He comes out unscathed due to the calm confusion he plays at, which is a testament to his overall strategy. In his battle with Tōshirō Hitsugaya, Gin was able to manipulate the positions of three people so Hitsugaya would have to choose between saving his own life or Hinamori's without any visible effort. He is capable of simple deception by having his opponent focus on one thing while hiding the true threat. It was later revealed that he hid the truth of his zanpakutō abilities from even someone as perceptive as Sōsuke Aizen, while giving him a false sense of security for over a hundred years, which eventually caused him to spill the secrets of the process in which one can prevent Kyōka Suigetsu's ability from afflicting them. Such keen deception is also used quite regularly in battles; combined with his natural abilities, causes him to become an enemy of truly fearsome ability. He is quite able to manipulate any advantage, diminishing the chances any opponent has to defeat him by a significant level.
Immense Spiritual Power: As a former Captain of the Gotei 13, Gin holds a great quantity of spiritual energy. As a younger Shinigami, he was noted to have possessed such talent that he was capable of effortlessly killing the 3rd Seat of the 5th Division, remarking that he was "worthless" when queried by Aizen. Though he rarely demonstrates his spiritual power openly, when exerting it as reiatsu, it is enough to easily incapacitate several Seated Officer-level Shinigami with nothing but a glance. His position as one of Aizen's former commanders is also a testament to his level of power, and it is assumed that his combat prowess is equal to, if not surpasses his Espada compatriots. His spiritual pressure takes a white color, and releases as a haze-like aura surrounding him.
Enhanced Durability: Gin appears to hold a very high level of durability despite his relatively skeletal build and unimposing appearance. The greatest example of his durability is during his fight(s) with Ichigo Kurosaki, in which he is capable of taking multiple Getsuga Tenshō in Bankai, no less, with only superficial injuries.
"I'm not saying I don't remember your blade. I'm saying I don't remember your heart. When you cross blades, you can tell a little of what your opponent's thinking. I'm not saying you can read their mind or anything like that, but you can tell what kind of resolve lies behind their blade, whether they respect you or look down on you. That kind of thing, you can tell. When I'm actually fighting, there's no time to think about it, so I don't usually realize until afterwards, but in general, the stronger the opponent is, the more of that "heart" seems to come across."
Gin is a swordsman of prowess far above the normal Shinigami. As a former Captain of the Gotei 13, it is evident that Gin holds skill that made him liable to become a Captain within approximately 100 years. Furthermore, it should be noted that Gin was always respected as a prodigy among his peers, one that came once in a century, which is a title he upheld for a significant amount of time. He has fought powerful opponents time and time again, such as Ichigo Kurosaki, his Reigai, Shinji Hirako and Tōshiro Hitsugaya respectively.
General Zanjutsu Prowess: A swordsman is someone whose heart can be read through his sword. This is the measure of a true swordsman's power. However, Gin is far beyond such a simple precipice within his swordsmanship. His sword cannot be "felt", his heart cannot be read, nor can his emotions be determined. His sword exists solely to kill, and nothing more. The will of Gin Ichimaru exists within himself, and nothing else. It is for this reason that Gin has fought so many powerful opponents without demonstrating even the slightest inkling of true fear. Such a philosophy reflects through Gin's blade flawlessly, to an extent that nobody has ever gone before. Some have been able to hide some of the intention that lies within their blade, but Gin hides every single portion of it. When he draws his blade, it becomes not an extension of himself, but a completely separate being. It is almost as if his blade is a sentient entity, a snake of sorts one could say. His swordsmanship is regarded as unpredictable, impossible to stop through conventional means. It cannot be deciphered by simple logic, for it is constantly changing its appearance. The blade guises itself in camouflage, briefly exposes itself, and then changes appearance once again. Shedding its skin constantly, it cannot be caught through any means that exist within mankind's mind.
Accordingly so, Gin's fighting style has been labelled as "impossible to follow", with even Captain-level opponents having an extraordinarily difficult time keeping up with him. Gin is constantly laced with an aura of composure, but his attacks are relentless when they do begin. His strikes are at a constant offensive, using a single hand to eviscerate his enemy from a variety of angles from right in front of them. But then he quickly weaves deception into this style; demonstrated through his underhanded tactics to keep an enemy off guard. This was primarily demonstrated against Captain Hitsugaya, who was nearly caught in his onslaught of relentless attacks that begun with a simple distraction, such as using fragments of wood or the sleeve of his Shihakusho. But aside from such simplistic means, he incites fear very regularly within his opponents, leaving them to maintain a distance from them, which he then puts to his advantage. Truthfully told, it is almost impossible to gain the upper-hand against Gin Ichimaru, for his skill in manipulating the battlefield and his enemies psyche to his favor is far beyond the ordinary.
But if Gin is ever caught off guard, it is usually done so on purpose. His reflexes have been honed to a point where he only takes the blink of an eye to counter a potentially lethal strike. Even with his small sword, he packs it with enough strength to counter strikes from the likes of Captain Hitsugaya and Ichigo Kurosaki with nothing but a single hand. Even then, he demonstrates very little tension, and quickly is able to use such a situation to gain the upper hand. He can flawlessly maneuver his blade around an opponent's due to its small size, subsequently leaving them momentarily disarmed as he goes in for the kill. His skill in parrying gives him virtually no openings to be found, which further reinforces that his fighting style revolves around the exploitation of openings to pit to his advantage.
And yet the most fearful portion of Gin's fighting style lies within its ability to be inter-linked with his Shikai and Bankai. Both are blades with tremendous levels of cutting power, length and speed. Using their abilities to their maximum efficiency, Gin has demonstrated flawless use of his Shikai's length in order to fight at a much longer range, while he remains finesse with using such a blade. Coupled with its speed, it makes for a deadly weapon whenever he is about to pierce through an individual. Even more deadly however, is his Bankai. Its speed lying beyond that of sonic-speeds, it is virtually impossible to evade or block an attack from Kamishini no Yari while he integrates it seamlessly into his standard swordsmanship. Even with its tremendous length, he frequently uses its abilities to their maximum potential, as a means to end a fight as soon as possible, or sometimes, to prolong it without damage sustained to himself.
Shinsō (神鎗 "God Spear", Viz "Sacred Spear") is the name of Gin's zanpakutō. It looks like an ordinary wakizashi. The hilt is light-blue with a tsuba made of two slim swirls of metal looping around the blade to make an open oval, resembling an "S".
- Shikai: It is triggered by the phrase "Shoot to kill" (射殺せ Ikorose). In the English Dub, however, he uses a command related to piercing/stabbing and ends the phrase with a personal pronoun (him, her, it) defining who he wants to hit. It appears that when releasing his blade, the wind around him suddenly converges to himself, causing individuals to be drawn in nearer to him, and lose their balance. This could be an offset of Gin's own spiritual power. Upon releasing, this makes it far easier to shoot his target without having to circumnavigate his extended blade.
- Shikai Special Ability: In its Shikai, Shinsō's blade glows white and extends at high speed to impale Gin's opponents from a distance. The blade also carries tremendous force when extending, as seen when Gin pushes both Ichigo Kurosaki and the giant Jidanbō out from under the Seireitei gate, despite the latter being firmly braced under it. In addition, Gin can maintain the extension and swing the activated Shinsō in wide arcs, attacking multiple targets quickly and simultaneously. Shinsō's maximum length is equivalent to one hundred times its original length, earning it the nickname Hyapponzashi (百本差し Hundred-span) when Gin was younger. Currently, Gin has also shown to have worked on increasing the contracting and extension speed of Shinsō, applying his own spiritual energy to bolster the speed of the said process significantly. This allows him to fluidly integrate it into his casual swordsmanship; within an instant he may be wielding a wakizashi with immense speed, which then extends and contracts at blinding speeds enough to pierce multiple holes in the enemy he fights without any known resistance from them, unless they are particularly strong enemies. He also shows enough ingenuity to be able to apply simple physical laws to gain attacks of much greater strength, evident in the manner in which he rotated himself while extending his blade to vastly increase his cutting power.
- Yarisazame (槍紗雨, Gossamer Rain of Spears) is a technique rarely used by Gin, mostly due to its applications being very indiscriminate and outside of his "controlled" battlefield he prefers. Released with the command "Pour Down" (降り注げ、, furi sosoge), Gin extends Shinsō to the air. His spiritual power is then channeled through the sword, releasing several fragments into the air which then form their own blades very similar to Shinsō's sealed state. Upon creation, they rain down on the opponent at massive speeds, annihilating them through repeated strikes. This technique is somewhat similar to his former comrade, Kaname Tōsen's Suzumushi: Benihiko.
- Yaririn (槍林 Spear Forest) is a variant of the Yarisazame technique. Using the same principles, but with far less extension. Instead, Gin simply stabs the blade within the ground enough to pierce a few layers of soil. Splitting fragments from the blade, several blades are formed on the ground and subsequently shot upward with tremendous force. They are a very effective ambush tactic, used more as a trap rather than a direct means of offense, and usually against a large number of enemies.
- Yarigiku (槍乱 Disordered Spear) a technique in which Gin shoots out Shinsō over a considerable distance, while purposely allowing a few blade fragments fall out of it. He then begins to charge these blade fragments with Shinsō's reiryoku by channeling it outward, causing the said fragments to grow into blades, which then extend alongside the original Shinsō blade, leaving his enemy pierced in multiple places at the same time through a single technique.
- Bankai: Kamishini no Yari (神殺鎗 God-Killing Spear) is a Bankai of truly tremendous power and application, if utilized correctly. Having had what appears to be centuries of experience with his Bankai, Gin is a very able combatant. He has shown to release it with flawless ease, even when he is in his sealed state; further attesting to his capabilities. When activating his Bankai, Gin appears to retract his sword back near his sleeve, much like when he does with Shikai. Subsequently, Gin utters the name of his Bankai, causing the blade to extend at tremendous speeds forwards. It appears to be almost mandatory right afterward that he swings the Bankai in a circular direction, instilling a sense of fear in his enemies as tremendous air pressure is formed, while structures of colossal height would fall like ants to the prey of the spear that pierces through God. Gin remarks that the name is fitting, considering its abilities.
- Bankai Special Abilities: When initially activated, Gin adorns a veil around Kamishini no Yari's true abilities. This said veil is the magnification of Shinsō's initial ability by over a hundred, if not a thousand times! As revealed by Gin during his fight against Ichigo Kurosaki, the maximum length that Kamishini no Yari extends to is a baffling 13 km! The sheer level of destructive power behind such a long blade allows him to slice through anything and everything within his way, and only the strength of a Bankai can reportedly be able to block its virtually unavoidable cutting power. But beyond that, there is yet another deception that Gin makes whenever his Bankai is activated, that being a downplay of its speed. According to the rumors projected by Gin, the extension and contraction of Kamishini no Yari is at hyperspeed, and apparently is 500 times the speed of sound. To put this into perspective, it would be 171,500 km per second, making the Bankai achieve its full distance in 0.08 seconds. However, what appears to be the true ability of his Bankai is that, within the extension and contraction process, the blade turns into dust and immediately reforms. This dust then surrounds and forms the blade by accumulating other dust that exists in the atmosphere, attracted by a single force. It is for this reason that the extension and contraction process seem extremely fast, as the dust is capable of accumulating at rapid speeds. However, Gin reveals that the blade is neither as long, nor as fast as he initially claimed; what he means by this however, isn't known.
- Korose, Kamishini no Yari (殺せ, 神殺鎗 Kill, God-Killing Spear) Kamishini no Yari's true ability, as well as its deadliest aspect, is not based on its length or speed, but rather its ability to turn into dust for just a second when it expands and contracts. There is a deadly poison inside the blade that dissolves and breaks down cells. He can leave a sliver of his Zanpakutō in an opponent when he retracts Kamishini no Yari, allowing him to kill an opponent at any time he chooses to. He does so by uttering the technique name while placing his hand up to the target, which causes the target to completely break down and dissolve at the cellular level from the inside out.
- Butō (無踏 No/Null Step) By adopting a stance where he firmly grips Kamishini no Yari with both hands and places the Zanpakutō's hilt squarely on the center of his chest, Gin is able to utilize the tremendous extension and contraction properties of his Bankai to an even more terrifying extent than its normal state. This occurs in the form of a piercing maneuver where the extension and contraction of the blade becomes almost completely unseen to even the most diligent of observers.
- Butō: Renjin (無踏連刃 No/Null Step: Serial Blade) This ability repeats the action of extending and subsequently contracting Kamishini no Yari, as observed within the technique Butō, multiple times in rapid succession. The entirety of this process is completed in a mere moment, resulting in the individual steps involved in this technique becoming virtually indistinguishable from each other, generating an apparent mass of blades that leave little opportunity for the intended victim to evade successfully.